How Pear Crumble Came About
My friend and I were out yesterday, and she started talking about how much she had a sweet tooth. Sweets sounded appealing to me. However, I know that I have to be careful with sweets, and that my best bet is to create something at home. That way, I can control how much sugar, honey, and salt is used. When I got home, I started thinking about an apple crisp that I made about a month and a half ago. I looked into the cabinets to see what I had, and I decided that I would make what I decided to call “Pear Crumble”. This baked good that only requires minimal prep time, takes about 45 to 50 minutes in the oven. As hoped, it hit the spot. There’s nothing worse than having your mouth set for something, and it doesn’t come out as expected, so that was a nice blessing. This crumble would serve as a nice topping for vanilla ice cream.
Activity: Baking Pear Crumble for Dessert
Total Prepping and Cooking Time: 70 minutes
- (2) cans of pears – $2.00
- (1) .75 oz of cinnamon – $1.00
- (1) box of oatmeal – $1.80
- (1) pack of flour – $1.50
- (1) bag of light brown sugar – $1.80
- (1) jar of honey – $1.70
- (1) container of butter or bottle of olive oil or vegan butter – $3.69
Total Cost: $ 13.49
Cost per day for two days: $6.75
Estimated Duration of Food: 1 day for a family of 4-6, 2 days for a family of 1-3
- Pour the pears into a small casserole pan.
- Whisk one cup of flour, 3/4 cup of oatmeal, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon in a bowl.
- Pour 1/4 cup of oil into the bowl and whisk.
- Pour these ingredients on top of the pears and drizzle with honey on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.
2 Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
3 Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
4 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
5 For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.
Psalms 100, KJV
Leave a Reply