Here at Valley of Grace, our main goal is to instill hope while you are in your valley, whatever that may be, and lead the way with ideas for living simple, functional, and grace-filled lives. That includes healthy, inexpensive recipes that will save you time and money. I cooked the following recipe of penne pasta with spinach the other night, and my daughter and I enjoyed it. As of lately, I have decided to make everything from a vegan base, since my daughter is vegan, and then, if we need extra protein for my son and I, I can always add ground turkey or chicken. This also helps to save money. However, for this recipe, I didn’t make any on the side protein additions. I hope that you will enjoy! Blessings!
Activity: Cooking Penne Pasta with Spinach and Mushrooms for Dinner
Total Prepping and Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 1 box of penne pasta – $1.00
- (2) 15 oz. cans of low sodium pasta sauce – $3.00
- (1) .75 oz of parsley flakes – $1.00
- (1) .75 oz of onion powder – $1.00
- (1) .75 oz of oregano – $1.00
- (1) 8 oz. of mushrooms – $2.20
- (1) 13.5 oz can of cut spinach – $.80
- 1 container of butter or bottle of olive oil or vegan butter – $3.69
Total Cost: $ 13.69
Cost for two days: $6.85
Cost for four days: $3.42
Estimated Duration of Food: 2 days for a family of 4-6, 4 or more days for a family of 1-3
- Boil the water for the pasta in a big pot or saucepan, along with one tablespoon of butter or olive oil so that the pasta doesn’t stick.
- While the water is boiling, you can drain the can of spinach and add the spinach to a nonstick pan with olive oil or butter. If you like minced garlic, you can also add this to the spinach.
- Heat up the spinach for about ten to twelve minutes.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water, and after about 15 minutes to 18 minutes, the pasta will be ready.
- Drain the pasta, and then add the two cans of pasta sauce, along with all of the spices above, and two tablespoons of olive oil or butter.
- Rinse the mushrooms and place them in a skillet, or whatever pan you have, along with butter.
- Cook the mushrooms for about 12 to 15 minutes, and then add the mushrooms and spinach to the pan of pasta.
- Stir and eat!
Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the Lord his God:
Which made heaven, and earth, the sea, and all that therein is: which keepeth truth for ever:
Which executeth judgment for the oppressed: which giveth food to the hungry. The Lord looseth the prisoners:
The Lord openeth the eyes of the blind: the Lord raiseth them that are bowed down: the Lord loveth the righteous:
The Lord preserveth the strangers; he relieveth the fatherless and widow: but the way of the wicked he turneth upside down.
The Lord shall reign for ever, even thy God, O Zion, unto all generations. Praise ye the Lord.
Psalms 146: 5-10, KJV
Leave a Reply